Wednesday, January 10, 2007

WAINWRIGHT

So it has been two full days since arriving at Alberta. Not much I can say about Wainwright. It is south east of Edmonton on highway 14, and has a great website. That's about it. lol I will provide some pictures a bit later to show how much there is here. (one picture should do it.)
As for what I do here. I am working in a small garage, fixing what is known as LAVs (Light Armoured Vehicle). There are 150 of them that we are responsible for. There are 6 military techs and 10 of us to try and fix them all. Big problem is that not many of us "civvies" are experienced with them. So it is a large learning curve.
So as for what the base does, it is used for training. They train infantry and armoured personnel from basic to trade courses. There is a dedicated OPFOR (Opposing Force) unit, with their own Afghan village, terrorist type training camp. They even hire Afghan/Canadians to teach background and act as villagers.

So as for the weather, it will be -30C with out the windchill tomorrow. The big storm we had lasted just over 24hrs, with high winds and lots of snow. The big noticeable difference from Ontario is that its a dry cold. Kinda sucks.

By the way this is the first blog I have ever done, so bare with me.

1 comment:

Royal Pinguo said...

Does it mean the techs got to drive LAVs for testing the functions? I guess you are not going in water yet, although I really think that is one of the coolest functions.